Thursday, September 16, 2010

I'm Doing What??? :-O


Its been a bit since my last post! Things have been busy, training hectic but progressing really well. I completed the Run on the Sly 50K on Sept 5th as a training run for my 50 Miler, the Dick Collins Firetrails 50 on Oct. 9th. Run on the Sly was a beautiful fun and aside from the nasty regurgitation of some watermelon at mile 26.2 I fared well. I tell people I coach again and again not to try something new on race day and yet there I was at the mile 26 aid station thinking "wow.. that watermelon looks good!"... BAD idea.


BUT!! The big news is getting selected for the 2011 Marathon de Sables in Morocco!! This has been my dream event ever since I learned about it! MdS is a stage race through part of the Sahara for 156 miles in April. Aside from the obvious challenges of heat and distance runners have to carry all of their food, clothing, sleeping bags etc and "compulsory items." Technical checkpoints ensure that all runners are carrying the requisite calories and equipment which includes a "venom pump" because of scorpions and snakes. Yeah.. not quite like any other race I have ever done. For me its like Mt Everest.. in the sand and heat.
I will be using the blog for the next few months to chronicle my training and then the race so stay tuned!!!

In the meantime here are some great videos relating to the event
MdS- Part 1
MdS-Part 2
MdS-Part 3

Run Happy
Ed

4 comments:

BrennanAnnie said...

Ed, do you see me doing the happy dance. I am soooooo happy for you. I am beyond thrilled. Congratulations. I can't wait to hear about this.

BTW, go get Survival of the Fittest by Dr. Michael Stroud. He talks about the race in that book and does a really good job of it.

Can't wait to hear all about the training and the plans. So jealous but very happy for you.

Randall Brennan said...

Oh, my. I always knew it would come to this eventually. Even way, WAY back in the day. Oh, my, indeed! But, hey, good on ya, mate! What an adventure. While you're at it, why don't ya run one for me? I'm still rehabbing now that I've gotten my foot out of the boot.

Word verification: expenus. What management does when they realize there are too many of us.

Unknown said...

I am also doing MDS 2011 as well. I would love to listen to your story some day. Have you been into the MDS forums that Jay moderates?
Regards, Bill
www.billmurphy.tv
Home of the IronmanCEO

kizzy said...

wow...congratulations that's indeed a great news...2011 Marathon de Sables is awesome..Good luck!

"Sport is not about being wrapped up in cotton wool. Sport as about adapting to the unexpected and being able to modify plans at the last minute. Sport, like all life, is about taking risks."
- Sir Roger Bannister ~saucony running shoes